Market: Pandemic seems to be over.
Supply: The orders placed with the vendor partners have partly arrived.
Operations: Stocks are being rearranged on the counters.
Consumers: The market has picked up for sure, and customers are back in the stores since Dussehra!
You, the owner: Have invested a lot of time, effort and money to make this Diwali.
Isn’t it Right?
All the prayers are getting answered, and it looks like Sales might be better than Diwali 2019?
But, there are still a few important jobs that make this Diwali Sales the best and actually better than 2019.
Or, as we say, the BESTest so far.
What are these important things?
If you know me, I have been part of many Diwali Sales Projects for Tanishq, that each year’s performance was better than ever before.
And since starting Retail Gurukul in 2012, I have helped 100’s jewellers and business owners to make their Diwali the best each year.
Would you like your Diwali this year the best?
But, who do you think has the toughest job in our business?
It is that of the sales staff.
Ultimately, they have to convince the customers, especially when customers have more choices than ever before.
Training and motivating the Sales Staff is also the easiest way to increase your Sales.
We train 1000s of staff each year! And we have seen quick results each time. A 10% -20% -a 30% increase in sales by motivated staff after training is possible.
So, you need to train and motivate them to perform.
That’s our job as the business owner. Our No 1 job.
Job No 1. Talk to your entire team!
Air India re-purchase by Tata Group is in the news these days. But this photo of JRD talking to the staff is for me the ultimate “morning meeting” that each manager/owner should conduct daily.
Either in one batch or even in multiple batches.
When was the last time you spoke to them in a group? No, just to one of your employees on a specific task, but as a group?
Here are a few tips to talk about.
- Congratulate them on their performance so far, and how it can be improved this year.
- The importance of Diwali in one’s own life. Diwali celebrates new beginnings and the triumph of good over evil and light over darkness. Surely, the pandemic is an evil period we have all experienced in recent memory.
- Explain that during Diwali, customers want to buy, they are not doing “time pass” and conversion is our responsibility.
- You need to train the staff on the Welcome, Display, Close and Thank You Routine. You will need to reinforce this message.
- Wish them all the best.
- Announce some outstanding rewards to the entire team for a job well done. They will remember it and work towards it.
Job No 2. Invite your customers.
- Invite your customers through digital media, tele calling, SMS, advertisements, etc.
- Send gifts to their homes in advance and follow up with a call!
- As the owner of the business, make it a point to call your VIP customers personally. They can go anywhere, but your invitation can make them come to you!
They can give you a significant portion of your high-value sales !.
Job No 3. Check your inventory
- The mood is good, customers are keen to shop and improve their own feel-good sentiments. So, check if all the inventory required is there.
- If some things are missing, then get them while there is still time.
- Good Stocks make for a great sales opportunity.
- This is also the time to get rid of some dead golden furniture. But, you need to identify them and make special offers for them, including getting your staff to focus on their sales. We all know, the jewellery, unfortunately, can’t as well as your staff!
Job No 4. Gifts for your customers
1. Remember, Diwali is a season of celebration. Give gifts to everyone who comes to the store.
The gifts are more about how thankful you are about them, rather than about the value of the gift. A sugar-free sweet box can be a suitable gift and a talking point to the staff! You need to just order in advance, just like stock for sale.
2. VIP customers get VIP gifts–the more thoughtful the better!
Remember to send me a gift too! or at least a picture of the gift. We are offering a special prize for the best gift by a jeweller this Diwali! Ha, ha.
Job no. 5. On Diwali day, ensure that everything is ready for the best sales of the year in the company’s history.
- Ensure that the staff are ready, trained and motivated for the best days ever!
- Keep stock ready and checked.
- Ensure billing is super fast. No customer wants to waste time at the billing counter.
- Ensure that the teams take care of both customers and staff, with refreshments and infrastructure support.
Job No 6. Promise a Diwali After Party.
Remember, they work very hard (both front end and back end staff, even the office and housekeeping boys and drivers included).
Need some more ideas?
- Celebrate with the team! at a Diwali After Party.
- Close the store after Diwali for a day and give your team a well-deserved rest!
- Remember, you had promised outstanding rewards. Announce them and hand them over at the Diwali party!
Happy Diwali Again, in advance.
PS: Look forward to your gifts/ images of your gifts for that special prize competition.
Buy the book here:- G.R.O.W Your Business